Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"It's Your Lucky Day"

Last week I flew with the kids to St, Louis, MO to visit my Mom's family for several days. (I'll post some pictures once I get them uploaded and organized) It was my first time to fly with both kids by myself; but thanks to lots of prayers, a few helpful strangers, a portable dvd player, and candy, traveling was a success.
Ava has always slept in her own bed in her own room, with a sound machine drowning out any outside noises. Needless to say, we have created a conditioned sleeper. On our first night at my Aunt's house, Ava and I shared a bed. Ava is a very restless sleeper and everytime she would roll over and bump me, she would wake up and want to chat. Each time Oliver sighed or grunted in his sleep, Ava would wake me up and tell me that Oliver needed me...we got very little sleep that night. For the duration of the trip, Ava slept on the floor in another room. On the last night we were back in St. Louis at my Aunt's house again. During dinner, Ava leaned over and told me that she was going to sleep in the same bed with me that night. Not wanting to argue with a three year old over sleeping arrangements at dinner, I ignored her. In another attempt to get my attention, Ava said in her most enthusiastic voice "Mommy, it's your lucky day, you get to sleep with me tonight!:)"

4 comments:

Dave and Jill said...

That is hysterical!! Hope you ended up with other arrangements!

We were praying for you... flying is rough enough when all you have is yourself to get to a connection!

amber said...

That is so funny! I'm glad traveling went well by yourself! That's always an adventure - I love portable dvd players! Sleeping away from home is always interesting for us too. Jackson loves his noise machine!

Heather said...

Too cute!

Shannon said...

Oh I feel your pain...Darin has been gone this last week and we just moved Lily into a toddler bed. She has come into my room several times this last week and it has been AWFUL. Hank likes my bed so he comes in and sleeps on Darin's side. No problem. Jack is pretty quiet and does sleep, but likes to be a little too close. Lily lays ON me or part of me and chats constantly. She also tosses and turns and finally I have to convince her she wants to go back to bed. So much lost sleep.