Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Birthday Cake for Bubby-Mack

"Bubby-Mack" is Ava's pink blanket, a gift from my Mom's good friend Mary when she was born. Bubby has become a very important part of Ava's life and very much a part of our family. So much so that she often joins us for meals, voices her own opinions, and occasionally gets spanked and put in time-out for naughty behavior. (Yes, Bubby-Mack is a "she," Ava only uses feminine pronouns when talking about her) Sometimes Ava will tell Jason and I to be quiet so that we won't wake up Bubby-Mack. Interestingly, this started after Ava began getting into trouble for just outright telling Mommy and Daddy to be quiet. We're not sure if this is genius manipulation or if Bubby-Mack conveniently naps around the same time that Ava is being told something she does not want to hear. Anyway, yesterday while we were playing with play-dough, Ava made a cake for Bubby-Mack and announced that it was her Birthday. She insisted on the candles and green and red Christmas sprinkles. We sang to Bubby and enjoyed a rice krispy treat in her honor. Bubby-Mack appeared to enjoy the party, possibly as much as Ava and I enjoyed the excuse for yet another snack.

Sampling sprinkles on a playdough cake...yummy?

5 comments:

amber said...

That is so cute! Jackson's special blanket is called Mamie, and HE too gets included in many conversations and life in general. Fortunately I have Jackson convinced that Mamie must stay at home!

andrea said...

so funny!

The Jensen Family said...

That's so cute! Marshall used to have his "dee dee" but one day said he was too big for it and gave it to Briggy. One day she just might give hers to her baby brother, you never know!!:)

K said...

Ava is a little genius! I am so stealing the Bubby Mack idea and using that on Britney from now on when I will be the bearer of hard to take news. Seriously though that is soooo cute that she does that.

p.s. - Esther, you have to double check for me, but I believe Jason used to have an imaginary friend called "Mack-Squzz" (he'll know, haha).

Dave and Jill said...

Ava is brilliant already - I had a blanket for many years, and I never thought of having a birthday party! Too bad.... I thought mine was so special to me, and come to think of it - it never had a name either.