Saturday, March 1, 2008

A new Blog and a New Baby...

So I'm finally starting a blog...many of my friends thought this day would never come. What I am beginning to appreciate about the blogs of my friends and family, is not only the opportunity to keep those at a distance up to date on our "exciting" lives, but the possibility to document all of those special moments that happen each day when you have a small child. I chose our blog address: "Moments to Hold" because of a song that we sang with my Dad's extended family at get togethers while I was growing up. The song is called "We have this Moment." It expresses how the time with our families, particularly while the children are young is fleeting. I so often feel this way when I look at Ava and see that she no longer has those cute chubby legs and that her ever growing vocabulary allows her to express her preferences and opinions on, well, everything.

Our blog title "BlueBells, Pigtails and Oilwells," I give Jason credit for. I came up with Bluebells, and Pigtails, and was stumped. The final inspiration came from Jason's job as a business analyst with an oilfield manufacturing company. Bluebells represents the Texas state flower (Which I have recently been informed by a native Texan is actually the Bluebonnet...but then I've never been one for details and most of the people reading this blog live out of state and don't know any better) The Pigtails of course represent Ava, who currently is sporting a very short bob hairstyle due to a strong dislike for pigtails or any other acitivity that involves holding still against her will. (Wow, maybe I should come up with another title that actually represents my family, but then again, this blog might never happen.)

As I have been putting off blogging for the past couple of weeks (and months), I have come to the conclusion that there is no better way to start a blog than with the announcement of our second baby. We went to the doctor yesterday for our 20 week ultrasound and we are happy to announce that we are having a baby boy in mid July!

With Ava we were not offered a 3-D ultrasound. The images on the 3-D are exciting and more life-like, however the added elements of texture and color are a little unsettling. The baby does have a complete right arm, (believe me we asked!) although from the picture it appears that he might be missing the bottom half. We were also assured that the baby will grow into his right ear which to our "untrained eyes" looked a little like a boxer's cauliflower ear. (We may be the parents who need to stick with the old fashioned silhouette ultrasound.) The doctor was able to tell us immediately that the baby was a little boy, but had to work really hard to get this snapshot as the baby was kicking the ultrasound wand and performing flips and Karate chops during the entire ultrasound. (This of course makes Jason very happy and proud) The doctor informed us that this was going to be our "Wild Child." Jason told him that unfortunately that spot in the family was already taken by the baby's sister, Ava...or so we think.


On a more serious note, we are so thankful for our healthy baby. The amazing thing about being able to have this ultrasound is that the doctor is 95% sure that our baby is completely healthy and developing normally. Of course there are no guarantees and we know that ultimately the Lord is in control of this little life and his future...It's just so humbling to be able to get a glimpse at this stage of development and to see that already this baby is "fearfully and wonderfully made." (Ps. 139:14)

4 comments:

Jen said...

I love your blog! Welcome to the blogging world. It is so much fun and a great escape from changing diapers and chasing kids around.

Dave and Jill said...

Hey Es & Jason! We love your blog!! I called Dave in so that we could read the sex of the baby together. Congratulations on a little boy that likes to kick! ha. Your wonderful brother took one look at the ultrasound, and said, "what is that?" So, I pointed out all of the features to him. :) We have a blog, too -- www.harderholler.blogspot.com

amber said...

Hey! I'm so excited for you guys! Having two kids is so fun (and a lot of work!). I may have to join you in the blogger world. A lot of my friends have blogs, but so far I am just a lurker! ~Amber Beery

Heather said...

I'm so excited!!! A new baby! And a little candyboy?! What could be better? Congrats on the pregnancy, blog and everything.